The Poverty of Choice

 I do not like this.

I really, truly do not like this.

I have been stuck in this house for nearly three weeks with limited money, no transportation freedom, and no meaningful relief from the grinding sameness of it all.

I have watched Netflix until even Netflix seems concerned about me. I have made lists of things I cannot buy, places I cannot go, and plans I cannot put into motion. I have attempted to keep four cats from staging a furry reenactment of the fall of Rome. I have rearranged thoughts, counted days, stretched supplies, and tried to construct meal plans from whatever happens to be in the kitchen.

Not What would I like to eat?

Not What sounds good tonight?

But What do we have, and how many meals can I force it to become?

There is an enormous difference between those questions.

At first, I thought I was simply bored. Then I realized boredom was the least of it.

This is what happens when choice disappears.

When you cannot get in the car and go somewhere because going somewhere costs gas. When you cannot wander through a bookstore because you might want a book you cannot buy. When you cannot meet someone for lunch, browse a thrift store, go to a festival, or even buy some ridiculous little treat because every dollar has already been assigned to a bill that is standing at the door with a baseball bat.

Your world gets smaller.

Not dramatically. Not all at once. It contracts by inches.

First, you stop eating out. Then you stop going anywhere that might tempt you to spend money. Then you stop going anywhere at all because gas is money, parking is money, and existing outside your house has somehow become money.

Eventually, the walls become the boundaries of your life.

And then it hit me:

Millions of people live like this.

Not for three bad weeks while waiting for a delayed check, a resolved crisis, or the universe to remove its boot from their neck.

They live like this every day.

They watch the same shows because streaming is the only entertainment they can afford. They make endless lists because writing down what they need is free, even when obtaining it is impossible. They calculate meals based on what is left in the pantry rather than what their bodies want. They know exactly how many slices of bread remain. They know which bill can be five days late and which company will shut something off without blinking.

They do not have cabin fever.

They have poverty.

And poverty is not merely the absence of money. It is the absence of options.

People love to talk about budgeting as though every financial crisis is caused by reckless spending and an unfortunate fondness for fancy coffee. They imagine there is always something left to cut.

Cancel the subscriptions.

Stop eating out.

Buy generic.

Meal-plan.

Stay home.

Fine.

What happens when someone has already done all of that?

What happens when the budget has been trimmed until there is nothing left but bone—and the numbers still do not work?

There is no magical meal plan that turns six dollars into forty. No budgeting app can create income that does not exist. You cannot coupon your way out of rent that consumes most of your paycheck. You cannot positive-think gasoline into the car or manifest a utility payment through the power of gratitude.

Sometimes there simply is not enough.

That reality changes more than the contents of a bank account. It changes time itself.

When you have money, even modest money, time contains possibilities. You might go somewhere after lunch. You might stop for coffee. You might browse a shop, visit a friend, take a day trip, or decide you are sick of cooking and order a pizza.

When you have no money, time becomes something to endure.

Another afternoon.

Another evening.

Another meal assembled from the same collection of ingredients.

Another day of waiting for something to change.

People who have never experienced that kind of restriction often mistake it for laziness. They see someone sitting at home and assume the person is doing nothing because they lack ambition.

But there is a particular exhaustion that comes from having no choices.

Every ordinary decision becomes an equation. Every surprise becomes a threat. Every small need joins the growing line of things waiting for money. You spend enormous amounts of mental energy trying to solve problems that could be fixed instantly with fifty dollars.

Or twenty.

Sometimes ten.

That is the cruel absurdity of it. The problem may be small, but without money, it becomes a wall.

And yes, I have found these weeks difficult.

I am restless. Frustrated. Irritable. I am tired of the same rooms, the same screens, and the same relentless calculations. I want to sit in a restaurant and order what sounds good without performing financial triage over the appetizer menu. I want to wander through a store without mentally translating every price tag into groceries, gasoline, or one fraction of a bill.

I want movement.

I want choice.

I want my life to feel larger than the amount currently available in my checking account.

Recognizing that millions of people live this way does not make my own frustration disappear. Suffering is not a competition, and perspective does not restock the pantry. I will not perform gratitude theater and pretend deprivation becomes beautiful simply because someone else has less.

It is not beautiful.

It is grinding, isolating, and painfully monotonous.

But this experience has reminded me how easily those of us with options can become blind to them. We call something a simple pleasure without recognizing that the ability to choose it is a form of freedom. A drive. A meal out. A new book. An afternoon somewhere other than home.

None of those things feels extravagant until they become impossible.

For me, this is a temporary confinement. Eventually, the check will arrive. The bills will be paid. The car will have gas. I will sit on an actual sofa, eat at an actual table, and return to a life that extends beyond these walls.

But millions of people are not waiting for one delayed check.

They are waiting for wages to rise, rent to fall, illness to loosen its grip, childcare to become affordable, or one month to pass without something breaking.

They are not failing at life.

They are living without room to move.

Three weeks of this has made me want to crawl out of my own skin. That realization is not a reason to congratulate myself for having endured it. It is a reason to stop judging people who endure it for years.

Poverty does not always look like dramatic catastrophe.

Sometimes it looks like Netflix.

Sometimes it looks like another list.

Sometimes it looks like four agitated cats, a carefully divided package of meat, and someone standing in front of the pantry trying to make three meals appear where there are only two.

Sometimes poverty is simply the slow, relentless shrinking of a human life.

And damn, those walls close in fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Apartment Sammich: A Field Report from the Kitty NASCAR Nationals 500

🔥 The Torchbearers: A Call to the Witches Who Stayed

The View from the Throne.