Why I won't buy my dream house when the neighbors are flying MAGA flags.

 I can overlook ugly carpet. I can paint over walls the color of old mustard. I can even live with a kitchen designed by someone who apparently hated both cooking and human movement.

But if I pull up to a house and the neighbors are flying MAGA flags, I’m going to keep driving.

People will say, “It’s just a flag.”  So were the Nazi flags, if you believe that logic.

That is what flags are for. They tell you what someone wants you to know about them. A garden gnome tells me you enjoy whimsy. An Auburn football flag tells me you make questionable decisions on Sundays. A MAGA flag tells me something I would rather learn before signing a thirty-year mortgage.

I’m not asking every neighbor to agree with me. I’ve lived among people with different politics all my life. We can disagree about taxes, road repairs, and whether the town needs another Dollar General. We can wave across the fence and complain together when the trash pickup is late.

But I’m buying more than a roof and a patch of yard. I’m buying the place where I’ll walk outside in my pajamas, bring groceries home, invite people I love over, and try to feel at ease. The houses next door are part of that decision. So are the messages their owners choose to display.

Maybe the flag-flying neighbor would lend me a ladder. Maybe they make excellent pie. I have no way of knowing. I do know they’ve chosen to make their politics the first thing I see when I come home. And the first thing my guests see when they visit.  And I’m allowed to decide I don’t want to come home to that every day, nor do I want to expose people I love to that hate. 

House hunting is already an expensive game of what fresh nonsense is behind this drywall? I refuse to add “will I be comfortable living between campaign headquarters and a personality cult?” to the inspection checklist.

So no, I won’t buy that house. I’ll thank the agent, refuse to leave the car, drive away, and look for a street where the loudest thing in the front yards is somebody’s wind chimes.

Those might drive me insane, too. But at least I can ask the wind to knock it off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Apartment Sammich: A Field Report from the Kitty NASCAR Nationals 500

🔥 The Torchbearers: A Call to the Witches Who Stayed

The View from the Throne.