An Acre in Arkansas, or a Down Payment on Seattle’s Sense of Importance
I want a three-bedroom, three-bathroom house on an acre. That seems like a reasonable request. Three bedrooms for living, writing, and storing whatever the cats have decided belongs to them. Three bathrooms so nobody has to negotiate with Dakota through a closed door. An acre so I can step outside without learning the neighbor’s preferred brand of coffee through their kitchen window.
In Arkansas, this is a house search.
In Seattle, this is apparently a request to be adopted by a tech billionaire.
As of August 2026, the median home sale price in Jonesboro was about $235,000. In Seattle, it was about $874,000. That’s roughly 3.7 times as much for the median home, before I’ve even had the audacity to ask for an acre. Those are citywide medians, not prices for identical houses. An acre in Seattle makes the comparison even more absurd.
For a more relevant Arkansas example, a Jonesboro property listing describes a three-bedroom, three-bathroom house of more than 3,100 square feet on one acre at $332,000. I’m not claiming every house like that costs $332,000. I’m saying such a listing exists, while Seattle’s median home costs more than twice that. In Seattle, $332,000 might get me a cheerful email from a lender and permission to stand near a house.
Now, Seattle is beautiful. I loved the trees, the water, the mountains, and the summers when the Pacific Northwets(It's a PLAY ON NORTHWEST and how Seattle is always RAINY, allegedly) remembered it owned a sun. But I spent enough time there paying a premium for the privilege of remaining indoors. At some point, the scenery outside the window stops compensating for the number on the mortgage statement.
Here, I can look for space to write, space for Dakota, space for four cats to conduct their ongoing territorial negotiations, and enough yard that the neighbors don’t have to hear me yell “FORLORN!” through the drywall. I can imagine a real dining table, a real sofa, and a home office whose floor isn’t also somebody else’s hallway.
Of course, owning an acre means mowing an acre. Arkansas summer will undoubtedly try to cook me where I stand. The house will still need an inspection, the pool—if there is one—will still demand tribute, and the neighbors may turn out to be interesting in ways the listing neglected to mention. Real estate always saves a little nonsense for closing day.
But I would rather deal with ordinary house nonsense at an Arkansas price than pay Seattle prices for the same nonsense dressed in a rain jacket and described as “charming.”
I moved across the country. Apparently, my housing budget got here and took its first full breath in years.
Comments
Post a Comment